Sunday, October 26, 2014

Faux Fotato Soup - THM recipe

About a year ago I started following the Trim Healthy Mama way of life. What is Trim Healthy Mama you ask? Well it is just the most amazing journey to food freedom and good health you will ever take! Trust me, I tried a lot of crazy restrictive diets in an effort to lose weight. Trim Healthy Mama was a blessing to find. One day soon I will share my THM journey, but for now, you should really just check out their website. You can learn all about it HERE and most importantly that is where you can order the book! :)

For now I would like to share a recipe with you that I came up with. I really wanted the Loaded Fotato Soup from the book (page 294) but I was doing a "deep S" day and couldn't have any cheese. (I know, I know, I said food freedom and couldn't have cheese in the same blog post! That is crazy talk! Well, never fear, deep S is a special thing that you don't ever HAVE to do. That is a whole different story so just keep reading!) Anyway...I really wanted this soup, but I wanted it to be creamy and satisfying like it would have been with the cheese, and I wanted lots of flavor, so I experimented with it. Here is what I came up with:

Looks cheesy doesn't it? But there is no cheese! It is a smooth creamy soup that tastes like loaded baked potato, but without the figure killing potatoes. :) Plus, it only takes 10-15 minutes from start to finish! Ready? Here we go!

Faux Fotato Soup -serves 2 - S (Deep S approved)

  • 1 1lb bag frozen cauliflower
  • 2 cups chicken stock or broth
  • 2-4 slices bacon or turkey bacon diced
  • 2 TBS coconut oil (Refined CO will not taste like coconut. I used LouAnn brand)
  • 1 TBS nutritional yeast
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1/4-1/2 tsp smoked paprika
At this point you have two options. If you have time, put coconut oil in saucepan and fry bacon until crispy. If you are in a bigger hurry you can skip that step. Frying the bacon first just gives more texture and a little more flavor. I was in a hurry so I didn't fry the bacon. It was still good!

If you fry the bacon first, when it is done to your liking add all of the other ingredients. Do not drain the fat out of the pan! Bring to a boil then reduce heat to med/low and simmer till the cauliflower is tender.

When cauliflower is tender blend the soup till smooth with an immersion blender or by transferring the soup to a blender. The combination of the nutritional yeast for flavor, the paprika for color and the coconut oil for the fat really does make this feel like it has cheese in it even though it does not. This means that even if you have dairy allergies you can enjoy this "cheesy" soup! Enjoy!!

Fellow THM Facebook administrator, Conney Jo Keel tried out this recipe and made adjustments for an FP version of this soup. Here are the adjustments:

  • Omit bacon
  • Use only 2 tsp coconut oil
  • Keep seasonings the same but up smoked paprika to 3/4 tsp (this makes up for the lack of bacon flavor)
  • She also mentioned that to make this soup even quicker to prepare you can microwave the cauliflower for 5 minutes to soften it.
  • Up to half of this recipe is FP
If you are the only one eating this soup you can keep the other half in the fridge till the next day or you can freeze it for later use. That means you can easily multiply the recipe to make multiple servings to freeze for future use!

~ PIN IT ~

No comments:

Post a Comment